DAY 7 Castor Oil Detox Pack
(Or if you want simple TV yoga, the link is at the bottom of this article)
Castor oil packs are healing and detoxifying in general. They can help:
- heal digestion and increase elimination
- stimulate the liver and help detox
- relieve pain, especially menstrual and uterine pain
- reduce inflammation
- increase lymphatic flow (your lymph system is like the trash pick up system of your body, it flushes out the trash and toxins but can be sluggish and slow due to diet and overall health)
By using castor oil packs, the flow of lymph is increased throughout the body. This helps to speed the removal of toxins surrounding the cells and to reduce the size of swollen lymph nodes. The end result is a pronounced, systemic improvement in organ function with a lessening of fatigue and depression. Generally lymph fluid is accumulated when there is an overabundance of toxins in the body, so when they are removed the excess fluid will come out. Kneading areas of cellulite during this process can help to get the excess water to exit.
They are great to use if you have cysts, the flu, a virus or cold, ulcers, infertility or menstrual issues, and in general want to do a detox. They are very detoxifying so you cannot do them if you are pregnant or nursing. You especially cannot do one if you have cancerous tumors as they increase your lymph circulation. If you have any medical condition or are on medication you need to check with your doctor before you perform any detoxifying procedures on yourself.
I want to emphasize that though castor oil packs are easy and extremely relaxing, they are MESSY! And castor oil can stain anything it touches, I personally do not endorse using plastic wrap as others do to cover the oil, because often it contains BPA and we definitely do not want to heat that up and put it on our skin!! So I use old towels, t-shirts and blankets as a wrap, you can also lay on a waterproof sheet on the floor. But remember that anything you put on the oil will be stained.
This pack is also extremely relaxing, I would advise doing it as close to bedtime as possible, it induces a wonderfully relaxing deep sleep.
Instructions for Castor Oil Pack
- Castor oil
- sheet of plastic, wool or cotton flannel (cut large enough to cover entire treatment area when folded into thirds)
- Hot water bottle or heating pad
- Old bath towel
- Old t-shirt
- Fold flannel (ideal) or cotton three layers thick so it is still large enough to fit over your entire upper abdomen and liver.
- Soak flannel with the room temperature oil so that it is completely saturated. You can also rub some castor oil into the specific area you want to put the flannel on.
- Recline on your back, with your feet elevated (use of a pillow under your knees and feet works well), placing flannel pack directly onto your abdomen, cover with fabric of choice and place a hot water bottle or heating pad on top.
- Cover everything with an old towel to insulate the heat. Take caution not to get the oil on whatever you are laying on, as it can stain. If necessary, cover that surface with something to protect it. Also monitor the heating pad closely, skin can get burned so start with a low setting.
- Leave pack on for 45 to 60 minutes. This is an excellent time to practice visualization, meditation or relaxation breathing. Alternatively you may just go to sleep. Some people will wear the pack all night using an ace bandage to hold it in place, you would not use a heating pad in this case.
- After finishing, to remove the oil from your skin wash with a solution of 2 tablespoons of baking soda to 1 quart water, or just soap and water. If used in the middle of the night, you can just wipe with an old towel. Be sure to use the same towel, and wash that towel by itself, as the castor oil can make other clothes smell if washed together.
- Store the flannel pack in a large zip-lock bag, or plastic container, leaving it by your bed. Reuse the pack several times, adding more oil as needed to keep the pack saturated. Replace the pack after it begins to change color.
- For maximum effectiveness, it is necessary to apply the pack as often as possible. For general detox 1-3 times per week is good, or as you feel you need it.
- Drink extra water before, during and after, if you feel up to it you can take a detox bath after but be very careful to stay well hydrated. Also if you are just beginning to detox I would not do these two practices on the same night, you may wind up with a headache or nausea if too many toxins dump themselves into your bloodstream.
Or if you want something even simpler to do while you binge watch TV check out
For 10 easy stretches to do while you're watching TV!