You are thinking..hmmm is there any truth to this toxin nonsense? Doctors have told me that my body detoxifies itself just fine.... but new studies are proving that modern chemicals are changing the way our bodies deal with toxins, showing they cause disease and make us gain weight that cannot be shed with diet and exercise alone!
And for those who have been around awhile, its time for me talk hormones again :)
I know this has been a huge issue for me, finding out why traditional diet and exercise weren't working for me took me YEARS of researching, finding medical doctors who were on the fringe and trying to look at things a new way because traditional medicine wasn't providing solutions or answers for those of us who were suffering. Even now, many people are denying the fact that we have a huge problem that can't be fixed with the CALORIES IN- CALORIES OUT model that is failing over 90% of people who are trying so desperately to lose weight and feel better. A 90% failure rate is not a successful solution! And the exercise more- eat less prescription will actually make this problem WORSE!
If you are 30 pounds or more over weight, you have some degree of leptin resistance, this is what Dr. Jack Krause says, a leading researcher in the field of leptin signaling. Read on to find out what this means and I want to point out that leptin itself is a new discovery to us, this is a topic on which new discoveries are being made all the time.
Modern toxins in our food supply cause weight gain, even if you are eating the same amount of calories you did 20 years ago or less, toxins cause havoc in your body now. The average person in the US comes in contact with over 123 toxins daily, and they are more aggressive and pervasive than they used to be! I want to make it clear, there isn't just one way they do damage, there are many!
Synthetic toxins build up in our bodies over time if they are not excreted and are stored in our body fat, they are fat soluble and our bodies create a nice storehouse for them causing cellulite and excess water weight to appear on our bodies. They sap our energy and make us age faster, we feel and look older than we actually are because our bodies are working much harder than they should be. Once we've accumulated fat, fat begins to secrete its own hormones which ensures we stay FAT no matter how much we exercise or under eat.
Because of their love of fat cells and our body storing them there for our protection, toxins attach themselves to the outer cell membrane of our fat cells, which cause them to continually release Leptin. This causes our Leptin levels to be continually elevated, when that happens our Leptin receptors burn out (similar to what happens with insulin and diabetes- and leptin plays a role in that as well). Leptin is the hormone that tells the brain to burn fat for use by our bodies, when the receptors are burnt out, there's no one there to answer the call, we stop burning fat. When you have weight gain that does not respond to dieting and exercise it's due to leptin resistance and toxins most of the time! Of course there are other conditions that can cause this problem also, so it is good to check with your doctor.
What can help?
1. Reduce your exposure to toxins immediately, especially in your household and personal products, reduce processed foods and see if you can filter the air in your home with plants or a air filtration machine.
2. Drink teas and water. The polyphenols found in tea (and other plants) support the liver in its detoxification efforts, which is crucial to overall health and energy levels. Especially if you regularly drink alcohol, which can hinder the liver's normal day to day detox activity.
One of the main polyphenols in Tea is the flavonoid EGCG, a potent anti-oxidant, which helps repair done from free radicals that can attack your body during strenuous exercise, digesting foods or other stressful activities. It also contains L-Theanine which helps your body produce a super important detoxification compound called glutathione, which becomes depleted by things like taking pain relievers, drinking alcohol or dealing with toxins.
3. Reduce your non-fibrous carbohydrates to under 50 grams per day, or less if possible, increase your fiber intake by increasing fruits and vegetables. They contain many compounds which will help your body rid itself of toxins as it sheds fat. This is the part that people don't like, you are going to have to give up sugar and starches for awhile, because they are being stored as fat. You know this because you gain weight almost instantly when you eat them.
Eat adequate protein to help the liver process toxins, make sure you eat the highest quality protein you can afford, Organic meats and wild caught seafood are best.
4. Sweat- do moderate cardio, such as fast walking or sit in a sauna until you are sweating. Dry brushing and salt baths are also a good way to get toxins out through the skin. Strenuous exercise is best left after your hormonal balance is restored.
5. Eat probiotic foods and take probiotic supplements, they will help correct the imbalance in your gut flora and assist the body in making the right hormones.
6. Get out into the sun light everyday, preferably barefoot, connect with nature and relax, your nervous system will benefit.
Here's to your health & happiness!
PS: Get our 21 day Newport skinny tea on sale for $27 with free shipping today and join in the 21 day challenge that starts October 10th! You can do this!